I was born in Chicago and grew up in Evansville, Indiana.. I graduated from Indiana University in 1973 and from Logan Chiropractic College in St Louis Missouri in 1981. I've been practicing Chiropractic in Steuben County my entire professional life, for a short time in Wayland NY and since 1984 in Hornell NY.
I've had had over 3000 hours of continuing education in nutrition, children's chiropractic and shoulder, hip and knee injuries.
We, my husband and I, ( Dr Robert Smith, also a Chiropractor), have two daughters and three grand-dogs. In my spare time I play golf, badly, and ski only a little better. I have a special interest in healthy cooking and eating.
My Story: I was a very sick kid. I was allergic to everything. I coughed, sneezed, wheezed and slept. Slept.I could have slept 20 hours a day. I was pretty sick, in fact until I got out of college. I hurt my back, and was finally persuaded to go to my friend's doctor. He did a very gentle examination, took x-rays and adjusted my spine. Not only did it not hurt, it felt good, and I started to feel better. I started to feel better than I EVER felt.In fact, my breathing started to get better. I was no longer sensitive to smoke and perfume and dust and every other chemical.
Did I mention that this doctor was a Chiropractor? My life immediately took a right turn and I went to Chiropractic College myself.
When my daughter began having the same symptoms I did---I knew what to do. I adjusted her. She's now a personal trainer and grew up taking advantage of a very different lifestyle than I did.
Now I have lots of folks coming to see me for their breathing, headaches, foot and knee pain, sleeplessness and back pain. I have the best job in the world. Everybody gets better.
Send me an email and ask for your special discount email@example.com
Seven Warning Signs That You Need To See Your Chiropractor
Many folks I encounter tell me theyre fine.
The ugliest word in the language. Fine.
I think it means, Its not an emergency. Or Not really OK, but I can live with it. Or Im mad but I dont want to talk about it.
Chiropractic is SO not about pain. Its about Function. Energy. Living with Enthusiasm. Heck, you can get rid of pain with a pill. You cant take a pill for energyat least not for long. And the only pills I know of for enthusiasm are illegal.
There are 7 warning signs that you need to see your Chiropractor. Any one of them will hang around long before theres pain.
1. Youre Cranky. Grouchy. Irritable. Angry. Sad. Know anybody like this? Its one of the first signs your body isnt working right. We see it often in kids. Theyre just not happy. Come to think of it, we see it in all ages. My wife sends our kids to Dr. Susan when they get whiny. I couldn't believe at first how they would be different kids in the car on the way home from their adjustments. ---Matt and Sarah's Dad, Kevin Hornell, NY
2. You Cant Sleep. Maybe cant get to sleep. Maybe cant stay asleep. Another very early warning of body malfunction. Since your body heals in your sleep, its one of the most damaging, overlooked traumas of living. Getting a good night sleep is the most reported benefit of Chiropractic. Since I've been getting adjusted, I've been sleeping all night. I hadn't slept all summer. Bob, age 44, Hornell NY
3. You Have Indigestion. Heartburn. Stomach aches before or after eating. Constipation. Diarrhea. The only building materials your body has is what you put in your mouth PLUS what your body can absorb. Any sort of gut malfunction prevents vitamins and minerals from being used for repairs and maintenance. (Aging = Poor repairs and maintenance) When I discovered that my osteoporosis had probably been aggravated by taking pills for acid reflux, I stopped them fast. But the reflux came back. Dr. Cosgrove showed me how to change my diet and helped my reflux. Now no more pills. And I'm saving over $100 a month with no pill copays. Joyce, age 67, Arkport NY
4. You Cant Think Clearly. You have brain fog and CRS (Cant Remember Stuff) I can't believe how fuzzy headed I used to be. My body just works better all over. My back, too. Dorothy age 62, Hammondsport, NY
5. You Get Every Cold and Virus Out There Your immune system is in trouble. Taking one antibiotic after another with only create a situation of swinging from one emergency to another.
6. You Have No Energy. This is your body prioritizing scarce resources to handle emergencies. Your body is so inefficient, its using all of the available energy to keep your heart beating and keep you breathing. Chiropractic adjusting creates less physical stress, so your body isnt using everything it has just to hold you upright.
7. You Are Taking Medication For A Symptom, and it used to work, but its not working anymore. For example, it youre taking blood pressure medication, but its not controlling your blood pressureit could be that the cause of the problem is somewhere else.
If youre waiting until you have actual pain to get a problem handled, then your body has just shut you down to force you to rest. In our world that means missed work, missed fun, missed life...
Look at your body like a bank account. If you deposit money (exercise, good diet, regular chiropractic care) into your account (body) regularly, you will have extra funds (health) for your old age. If you dont, you wont. So are you withdrawing funds (junk food, stress, TV, drugs) and hoping for future prosperity (vitality, energy, enjoyment)?
That brings me to an interesting statistic: -45% of people who never or rarely see Chiropractors spend some time in a nursing home before they pass. -Of those smart folks who see Chiropractors regularly - only 4% spend time in a nursing home!!! Thats not peanuts.
I dont know about you, but Im not eagerly planning my future nursing home stay.